Getting ahead means getting to the cloud
Studies show that companies that embrace the cloud grow 19.6% faster than those who do not and more than 80% of organizations now adopt cloud-first strategies as part of an overall digital transformation.
As a first step on the digital transformation journey, IT must optimize its operations to effectively manage growth in the cloud.
To stay competitive in today’s marketplace, IT organizations must continuously optimize how they maintain and use the data that fuels their operations. Modernizing to the cloud as part of a digital transformation can deliver:
- Operational efficiencies
- Business enablement to drive continued growth
IT optimization introduces some new priorities to consider:
- Eliminating time spent managing “long tail” of applications
- Freeing up limited IT resources
- Migrating business critical apps to the cloud
Azure SQL Database
Azure SQL Database is your fully-managed relational database-as-a service. It’s the best and most economical cloud destination for your SQL Server data and running on the Microsoft SQL Server engine means it’s high-performing, reliable, and secure.
Additional Benefits of Azure SQL Database:
- Save time and resources by seamlessly migrating SQL Server data to the cloud via a managed instance with a full SQL Server programming surface area that removes the need to re-architect the apps.
- Realize up to 212% ROI over 3 years by migrating your SQL Server workloads to SQL Database Managed Instance (according to recent Forrester Total Economic Impact study). Upon migrating to Azure, organizations can see savings of up to 80% versus license-included pricing. Azure SQL Database is the most cost-effective cloud for SQL Server with AWS being approximately 5x more expensive.
- SQL Database breakthrough productivity and performance meets the demands of today’s apps. Each database is isolated and portable, each with its own service tier and guaranteed performance level. Users can expect a variety of performance levels for individualized needs, enabling the pooling of databases to maximize resources and investment. With its Dynamic scalability your SQL database can transparently respond to rapidly changing resource requirements, and you pay only for the resources you need when you need them.
- Intelligent protection and industry-leading security and privacy capabilities allow you to control access to your databases with multi-factor authentication and you can monitor your databases for potential threats and vulnerabilities using Advanced Threat Protection.
- SQL Database also has built-in intelligence that helps customers dramatically reduce the costs of running and managing databases and maximizes both the performance and security of their application.
SQL Database Managed Instance
Recently generally available, Managed Instance is the best cloud destination for SQL Server workloads, combining the best of SQL Server with the benefits of a fully-managed, intelligent database services. Migrating to Managed Instance means virtually no code changes and no worries about end of support events. SQL Database Managed Instance offers its users:
- Simplified instance-scoped programming model that is like an on-premises SQL Server instance.
- Managed Instance databases share allocated resources, with Managed Instance also representing the management grouping for these databases.
- High compatibility, with the programming model of an on-premises SQL Server and out-of-box support for a large majority of SQL Server features and services.
- An expansion of the existing SQL Database service, it’s designed to enable database migration to a fully-managed database service, without re-designing the application.
- Experience the best of SQL Server combined with the operational and financial benefits of a fully managed and intelligent, cloud relational database service.
SQL Database Managed Instance provides complete workload isolation of your workloads through native VNET support. During service provisioning (on Azure Portal or through REST API), you can choose the virtual network (VNET) and the subnet to achieve full networking isolation for your Managed Instances. Once created, instances in the VNET can be reached using Azure networking mechanisms (VPN and Express Route gateways).
There are two levels of isolation provided. These are:
- Cluster (tenant ring) level: Managed Instances for a tenant are fully isolated from other tenants. No connectivity or resource sharing is possible between different tenants.
- Networking level: Joining instances to a subnet in a VNET and restricting access to private IP addresses provides full isolation from public Internet.
Accelerate the journey with Azure Database
Optimizing your IT infrastructure helps maximize the time and resources dedicated to your business transformation. Microsoft is committed to accelerating your initiatives with the new Azure Database Migration Service (DMS): a fully managed, first-party Azure service. With the help of DMS, you’ll experience seamless, frictionless, minimal down-time migrations from heterogeneous database sources to Azure Database.
Are you ready to make the move? Oakwood Systems Group is here to help. Contact us today and we’ll walk you through the next steps in the digital transformation journey!