The Business Office 365 value proposition is greater reliability, security, and productivity at less cost than on-premise server infrastructure or applications. Office 365 is a hosted offering for Software as a Service (SaaS) providing portals and applications for administrators and end-users. It combines the familiar Office desktop suite with cloud-based versions of next-generation communications and collaboration services.
Why Office 365 For Your Business?
- Exchange Online offering business-class e-mail, scheduling, and mobility
- SharePoint Online giving advanced document storage and application integration
- Lync Online providing presence availability, instant messaging, and desktop sharing.
Microsoft takes a comprehensive approach to protecting your data at both the physical layer with significant investment in state-of-the-art data centers and the logical layer using security-aware engineering practices for services and software. Office 365 provides secure access across platforms and devices, as well as premium anti-spam and antivirus technologies that are automatically updated to protect against the latest threats.
The security features and services associated with Office 365 are built in, reducing the time and cost associated with securing your IT systems. At the same time, Office 365 enables you to easily control permissions, policies and features through online administration and management consoles so you can configure Office 365 to meet your specific business and security needs.
Currently, most technology infrastructure is no longer cost-effective to maintain on-premise. The trend is moving toward monthly fees for these services at much less cost than continually purchasing and maintaining hardware and software. The server hardware you buy today typically will be out of warranty and not supported with no availability of replacement parts within 3-5 years. Then you face the challenge of new operating systems and application software and compatibility, not to mention any hardware failures, software updates, and backups along the way. Moving to the cloud also alleviates the costs of an additional Datacenter for disaster recovery, which can potentially double the cost of maintaining on-premise technology for a business continuity plan.
Circumstances must be extremely unique to outweigh the savings and benefits of Office 365 versus on-premise solutions. For the most savings, the best time to move to Office 365 is at or near a required refresh of servers for file storage, e-mail, or communications. Not only do you escape the capital cost of hardware and software, but you avoid maintenance and disaster recovery along with all backend upgrades. However, you still must stay within the 5 years standard support period of Office desktop software. Typically, organizations will see an average of 40% savings over a 5 year period by moving services to Office 365.
In most workplace instances, having integrated, always available communication and collaboration solutions streamline the way we work and can be the ticket to greater productivity and cost savings. Moving productivity services to the cloud requires a serious consideration of cost savings, security, and privacy. Office 365 offers a cost-effective solution for communications and file access, whether day-to-day or in disaster situations. The facts of significant cost savings and improved security and productivity are difficult to dispute. The substantial business benefits and enterprise-grade security allow you to move to the cloud with confidence.
- Anytime, Anywhere Access: Office 365 provides web-enabled access to email, important documents, contacts, and calendar on almost any device. It frees you to work where and when you choose, letting you respond to important requests right away, from almost any location. With the ability to access email and documents from your mobile device, you don’t need to hurry to the office or look for a WIFI hotspot. And if you’re traveling without access to Microsoft Office, Office 365 helps you view and edit documents from the most popular web browsers
- Professional Face for Your Business: Using professional services like Office 365 tells potential customers that you’re serious about business. For example, you can impress your prospects by inviting them to a collaborative online meeting where you can review your latest proposal. With these state-of-the-art but easy-to-use collaboration, email, and messaging services, you can set yourself apart from organizations that use free or ad-supported services.
- Easily Communicate and Collaborate Inside and Outside Your Organization: Create a password-protected portal to share large, hard-to-email files both inside and outside of your organization, giving you a single location to find the latest versions of files or documents, no matter how many people are working on them. Send instant messages to colleagues and customers and invite them to participate in online meetings where you can review documents or take control of a desktop.
- Simple to Learn, Straightforward to Use: You don’t need to learn new software, install complicated systems, or learn the new jargon. In just a few minutes, you can create a trial account and see how easily your business can be “in the cloud”
- Email, Collaboration, and Online Meeting Solutions: Enhance your Office experience with features like a 25-gigabyte (GB) mailbox that accommodates attachments up to 25 megabytes (MB), calendaring, contacts, online meetings, instant messaging, document collaboration, and more.
- Safety and Security: Use the same systems leveraged by Microsoft and other enterprises worldwide to help protect email, documents, and networks. These systems scan your messages and documents for spam and malicious software (also called malware) 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Microsoft data centers help safeguard your data and are certified to meet several industry-standard certifications.
- Seamless Coordination with the Tools You Already Know: Office 365 works seamlessly with Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. These tools provide the familiar features you rely on as well as powerful capabilities in Office 365. With Microsoft Office 2010 or higher, you can see if others are editing the document you’re using, synchronize documents with your desktop, broadcast PowerPoint presentations, and check documents in and out of your online document library
- Flexibility for Your Business: Pay-as-you-go pricing options give you predictability and flexibility for your business. Office 365 also offers great flexibility by allowing you to easily provide users with only the services they need, cost-effectively adding value to your business
Office 365 Privacy
Microsoft strives to be a leader in industry privacy and transparency.
- No Advertising: Office 365 does not build advertising products out of customer data or scan email or documents.
- No Mingling: Business Business Office 365 keeps customer data separate from consumer services such as Live. Microsoft Online Services use separate systems that are physically and logically separate from consumer systems.
- Data Portability: Customers own their data, and retain all rights, title, and interest in the data stored in Office 365. A full copy of your data can be downloaded at any time and for any reason, without any assistance from Microsoft. Upon Office 365 subscription expiration or termination, Microsoft provides by default 90 days of limited access to export data.
- Data Limits: Core customer data is not accessed for administration unless explicitly requested via customer service request for operations and troubleshooting. Normal personalization or communications concerning tips and advice utilize no access to core customer data. Customer account information only must be accessed for purchase and billing questions. Microsoft does not voluntarily provide law enforcement access to customer data and tries to redirect such an entity to the customer unless legally required to disclose information.
- Administrative Access: Access to customer data is strictly controlled and logged and sample audits are performed both by Microsoft and third parties to attest that access is only for appropriate business purposes. Limited key personnel only of the Operations Response Team may access core customer data only as needed and by exception. Support, Engineering, and others in Microsoft have no access to core customer data. Partners have access to core customer data only with customer permission.
Office 365 Security
Microsoft builds on deep industry experience to incorporate cutting-edge security practices from development through to administration and maintenance.
- Deep Experience: Microsoft has developed proven practices and policies as a result of over 15 years of experience in providing security for online data. Microsoft offers a financially backed 99.9% uptime Service Level Agreement.
- 5 Layers of Security: Data is secured in 5 different layers – data, application, host, network, and physical.
- Monitoring and Access Restriction: Office 365 services are proactively monitored to identify potential known and unknown threats by predicting malicious behavior, and also monitors for irregular events that may indicate threats. In addition, production server access is restricted to a short list of critical operations personnel.
- Secure Lifecycle: The Microsoft Secure Development Lifecycle ensures that security and privacy are incorporated into online services by design, from software development to services operations.
- Independently Verified: Office 365 is compliant with many world-class industry standards and regulatory compliance as verified by third-party security audits:
- ISO 27001
- EU Model Clauses
- HIPAA-Business Associate Agreement
- Federal Information Security Management Act
- Data Processing Agreement
Business Office 365 Conclusion
There is little risk and no obligation to starting an Office 365 free trial for 30 days to learn more. After 30 days you can convert your trial into a paid subscription.
Since 1981, Oakwood has been helping companies of all sizes, across all industries, solve their business problems. We bring world-class consultants to architect, design and deploy technology solutions to move your company forward. Our proven approach guarantees better business outcomes. With flexible engagement options, your project is delivered on-time and on budget. 11,000 satisfied clients can’t be wrong.