Oakwood has long-standing expertise with affecting and facilitating organizational change management (OCM), primarily around significant IT initiatives within large organizations with many business units involved. Oakwood has also worked with several organizations who did not understand the need to invest in OCM and have had less-than-desired results from project implementations. In our experience, any substantial technology initiative will benefit from a pre-defined OCM approach.
History of Organizational Change Management
While OCM is not new, the evolution of technology platforms allows us to support OCM in new ways that are more compatible with the current ways in which people learn and adopt change. Specifically, the collaborative power of SharePoint can be leveraged as a change agent to communicate and sustain the OCM processes within the organization.
Adopting an OCM methodology like the one below will increase user adoption of the new system so that required business goals can be realized.
The specific implementation of the methodology steps vary slightly based on the specific organization for which this approach is being utilized, and the methodology implementation is refined during each phase so that the end results (Execute and Sustain) are one hundred percent on-point and specific to the client organization.
- Utilize decision support tools to perform analysis of the organization as a whole, teams, and individuals to assess the readiness for change
- Identify information gaps and change gaps
- Draw conclusions as to business and team readiness
- Evaluate potential points and pockets of resistance
- Determine if cultural changes are needed to support the change
- Ensure that key user community members are asked to be part of the solution. Studies prove those end users who feel a sense of ownership over a new process will not only quickly adopt that process, they will also become process evangelists
Change Agent Identification
- Identify change agents early, based on the analysis done in the first phase. Change agents can be people, teams, and technologies that will accelerate the change process.
- Design a communications plan that leverages the identified change agents:
- Create an intranet portal site where on-going communications, announcements, metrics, and scorecards are kept current and visible to all constituents
- Utilize a formal internal marketing program; consider slogans, themes, posters, internal email campaigns, and newsletters as communication mechanisms on importance, priority, and progress
- Leverage social networking to communicate achievements, foster and reinforce awareness and understanding among constituents
Create a user adoption program that drives usage of the various components of the solution, including the SharePoint platform itself as well as the ECM/RIM initiative
- Short training videos on how to get more out of the standard SharePoint features (similar to the SharePoint Pass-along Tips videos developed by Oakwood)
- On-portal exercises like a scavenger hunt with a prize drawing at the end
- Tips and Tricks – ask a question and award prizes to the users who come up with the best answer as rated by their peers
- Lunch ‘n’ Learn sessions on specific topics, scheduled at regular intervals throughout teams
- Utilizing a dashboard to communicate metrics being measured, such as “documents in system” or “users on board”
Leveraging Social Networking
- Build a community of subject matter experts who are a “click for help” away
- Establish a reliable and non-threatening forum where peer assistance can be requested
- create a blog where tips and tricks, successes, and lessons learned can be shared, commented on, and discussed
The reason for the change is so that specific business goals can be realized. Utilizing an appropriate OCM Methodology, incorporating tactical initiatives, and leveraging currently available technology will position the organization to achieve the business goals it has identified.
Since 1981, Oakwood has been helping companies of all sizes, across all industries, solve their business problems. We bring world-class consultants to architect, design and deploy technology solutions to move your company forward. Our proven approach guarantees better business outcomes. With flexible engagement options, your project is delivered on-time and on budget. 11,000 satisfied clients can’t be wrong.