Ever thought about how nice it would be to get a six dollar haircut? Let's digress for a minute. An email arrived this morning with the title “Build a Project Office on SharePoint in 30 Minutes,” and I am so flabbergasted by this concept that I hardly know what to say. It's just plain wrong. What does this all have to do with a six dollar haircut?
Sharepoint In 30 Minutes – Not Possible
- You can paint the body of the car and it will look great, but if it doesn't have an engine it's not going to take you anywhere.
- Automating bad process just gets you to chaos faster.
- If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.
- Clothes don't make the man. Tools don't make a project run smoothly.
- If you don't know how to manage a project, implementing a project office is sort of like remodeling a closet in your house specifically to store saddles – because someday maybe you'll have a horse.
You can build anything in SharePoint in thirty minutes once you know exactly what you need. You also have a plan as to how you are going to use it. Lastly, you must think through all of the parameters, have user buy-in, and have processes in place already that will easily translate to this new tool. Don't forget support for new processes. Lastly, a healthy dose of organizational change management to support their implementation.
Six Dollar Haircut
There's an ad running right now where this established barbershop sees a mega-barber-store go in across the street and put up a big sign that says “Haircuts $6.” The barbershop owner knows he can't compete so he goes to the sign shop and buys a banner that says “We Fix $6 Haircuts,” and he puts the megastore out of business. (And in yet another marketing failure, I have no idea what the ad is promoting. I think maybe it's the place where he got the banner made but I can't remember who that was.)
We fix thirty-minute project office implementations. I don't know why you would want one in the first place, but maybe that's just me. And there are no six dollar haircuts out there.
Review our case studies and engagements where we helped companies just like yours solve a variety of business needs.
Since 1981, Oakwood has been helping companies of all sizes, across all industries, solve their business problems. We bring world-class consultants to architect, design and deploy technology solutions to move your company forward. Our proven approach guarantees better business outcomes. With flexible engagement options, your project is delivered on-time and on budget. 11,000 satisfied clients can’t be wrong.