Windows Virtual Desktop is a comprehensive desktop and app virtualization service running on the Azure cloud. It is the only service that delivers simplified management, multi-session Windows 10, optimization for Office 365 ProPlus, and support for Remote Desktop Services Environments.
With Windows Virtual Desktop you can deploy and scale your Windows desktops and apps on Azure in minutes, with built-in security and compliance.
- It’s the most scalable service to deploy and manage Windows virtual machines (VMs), using Azure for compute, storage, rich diagnostics, advanced networking, connection brokering, and gateway. Deploy and scale in minutes.
- It’s the only service to enable multi-user Windows 10 experience including compatibility with Microsoft Store and existing Windows line-of-business apps, while delivering the cost advantages previously only possible with server-based virtualization.
- WVD is optimized to virtualize Office 365 ProPlus running in multi-user virtual scenarios. Microsoft Office is the most virtualized app used and we are committed to delivering the best possible virtual experience.
- It’s the only service to provide Windows 7 virtual desktop with free extended security updates, giving you more options to support legacy apps while you transition to Windows 10.
- WVD offers the most flexible service allowing you to virtualize both desktops and apps, meaning you can choose between providing your users the entire desktop experience, or delivering only specific apps. When you deliver virtual apps to a Windows 10 endpoint, they are integrated seamlessly into the user experience.
- It provides seamless multi-user Windows 10 experience that’s highly scalable & always up to date.
- WVD supports any end-user device platform including Windows, Android, Mac, iOS, and HTML 5.
- Users can deploy and scale in minutes. WVD allows you to manage users and security via a unified administrative interface in the Azure Portal.
Cost Benefits of WVD
WVD reduces organizational costs by reducing infrastructure, licensing, and labor costs. Multi-session Windows 10 allows significant savings in compute resources, and WVD service now replaces complex management requirements of RDS/VDI solutions. WVD is free to use with many existing licenses and you no longer have to pay for RDS CAL licenses. Finally, labor savings are realized by the shift from IaaS to PaaS removing the need to manage core services like broker/gateway/web access etc. reducing management overhead.
Operating Systems Supporting WVD
- Windows 10 multi-session
- Windows 10 single-session
- Windows 7 single-session
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2019
Are you interested in learning more about whether a Windows Virtual Desktop could be beneficial to your organization? Drop us a message below and we’ll help get you started!